a couple news updates:
dont know if i said this already, but i'm applying for a summer research grant from the Pomona Environmental Analysis department. that would give me $3-4 thousand to prepare a research project, and let me go where i need to go to get it done. just today i was brainstorming and thought about WWOOFing (working on an organic farm in exchange for room and board) in france and maybe california and doing a comparative study of organic techniques or something. i'm pretty excited; it's an idea i really like. so that has potential for this summer.
some more good news is that my friend Katie Rowbottom (who lived here with the Bassouls last year) found a job in Paris. so i will be able to spend a good couple of weekends seeing the sights there and have a place to stay. excellent.
today i made some plans (with Katie's help) for my week-long vacation in february. looks like i'll be spending a couple days in Nice, then Rome, then Florence, then Venice, then maybe Milan before heading back to Montpellier via Nice. i'm pretty excited for this adventure - now i just need somebody to go with...
this afternoon i got back from a couple nights in a little town called Bolquere, in the Pyrenees, pretty close to Spain. the snow was pretty icy for snowboarding, and the windstorm that shut the mountain down at lunchtime didn't really improve the situation. but we also went snowshoeing, and that was pretty fun. besides that, it was a big party for middle-aged parents. a lot of wine was drunk, and a lot of songs were sung. overall, it was a pretty fun weekend. for me, i'd say the highlight was that there was a piano at the lodge we were in. i sure do miss having a piano.
as always, there has been lots of good food, both in bolquere and here at home. quiches of ham or tomato and onion (but always cheese), bread, wine, sausages, fruit and cheese. just doing my best to keep the belly at a reasonable size.
much love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ahh Sky that all sounds amazing!! I hope you get the research grant. Also, if you have any desire to end your summer traveling from iceland to scotland to ireland, that is what I will be doing most of august before my study abroad program starts. I'll probably get in to iceland around august 10th, I know it's way far in the future, but just wanted to put it out there :)
ReplyDeleteHi Skylar! I love your blog and I'm glad you're having such great adventures in France. I got the Schulz grant after my junior year and it quite literally changed my life; before that I never planned to do environmental engineering or even really knew what it was. Plus I got to write about 70% of my thesis before my senior year, which made life easier. Anyway, good luck with it and tu dois vraiment manger du raclette pendant que tu es la. C'est une chose savoyarde. -Audra
ReplyDelete(It's still your birthday here in Washington, so...)
ReplyDeleteHAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY, SKYLAR!!!
J'espere que tu a un bon celebration avec tes amies nouvelles! Mange and bois bien! Et sais que nous t'adore beaucoup, beaucoup.
Maman et Papa